Re: (TV) Ii-pod Cave / Re: Naive? Questions on Music Biz Changes

At 2:56 PM -0500 2/15/05, Casey, Leo J wrote:
This question is going to make it seem like I've been living
in a cave [plus don't have an i-pod], but in 25 words  or more :>) ,
can someone describe how this works?

1. You buy an iPod.
2. Connect it to your computer.
3. Copy to it any .mp3s you've ripped from CDs, or downloaded from the Internet (free or paid)
4. Listen.

It's step 3 that is the crux of whether or not artists get paid. It could include any of the various free peer-to-peer filesharing networks, or the Usenet binary groups, or someone's web page (say, the band's, or some fan's page). In those cases, no money changes hands. Alternatively, there's the option of paid download services (iTunes, the new Napster, etc.). I believe downhillbattle.org has worked out the economics to reveal that under the usual major-label deal, an artist might see $0.11 out of every $0.99 download on the iTunes Store. Note that you don't need to purchase music there in order to listen to it in iTunes or on an iPod.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/