Re: (TV) I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass

Scott Simpson <SSimpson@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Great journalist, Ellen Willis is responsible for that.  It was the title of
> an essay she did way back in late 70's about why the Velvets are the only
> band that matters.  It's in European Son, where we love the sound of
> breaking glass.  I can probably pull it out if anyone is interested.

What is REALLY mystifying about this is:

(A) how the phrase ended up in a Huey Lewis song.  Seriously.   I
don't remember the song, but the terrible, terrible couplet goes "I
like the sound of breaking glass/And if you don't believe me then why
did you ask."  Among the many, many things wrong with this is the
ryhme scheme, which clearly suggests that what is meant is something
more like "If you don't believe me, you can stick it up your ass",
which is very painful sounding indeed, and
(B) why everybody loves the sound of breaking glass, but nobody gives
a shit about the screeching shound of a chair being dragged across the
studio floor which precedes it.  Seriously, Cale dragged that chair
*just so*, and the breaking glass would be *nothing* without it...
let's give it up for the Sound of Chairs Screeching Across Studio
Floors!  (Well, anyway, *I* like it, and if you don't believe me...)

-Rex

> How come we never talk about the Loud Family or Scott Miller?  Another
> A-lister.

Word, he rules, too.  Scott, do you follow me around from list to list
or something?