"ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?", Author: JIM SULLIVAN
Date: 02/15/2005 Page: E3 Section: Living

As coleader of the dB's the seminal '80s band Chris Stamey became
one of the avatars of what's been called power pop. He's now leader
of the newly formed Chris Stamey Experience, which plays the Paradise
Lounge tonight. "I don't want to say anything bad about power pop, but
it's not really a Beatles thing we're doing," Stamey said.
"There's a sense of improvisation and guitar fun to it."

Stamey is touring with drummer Anton Fier (ex-Feelies, Golden Palominos),
bassist John Chumbris, and former Boston-based keyboardist Tyson Rogers.
He just recorded a CD, "A Question of Temperature," with members of Yo
La Tengo and, as they were recording, they found antiwar politics creeping
in.
"The war and the election were looming large when we got in the studio,"
he said. That's evidenced in songs they wrote and covered, the latter
including Eddie Harris and Les McCann's Vietnam War-era song "(Let's
Make It Real) Compared to What."

During the '90s Stamey produced (Whiskeytown, Le Tigre, Ben Folds Five,
etc.)
more than he played concerts, but he reemerged last year with the ambitious
"Travels in the South." He's working on a solo record, "November," and a
dB's
reunion record. Any fears, at 50, about getting older in a young person's
game?
No. "My heroes are Stravinsky, Cole Porter, and Debussy, and I don't think
about age, really. I'm fairly well preserved."
Furvis opens the 18-plus show at 9. $10