(TV) Hell "Left" 30 Years Ago Tomorrow!

>I wondered that too, in light of the phony Hell interview.
>But it seems awfully short if you were going to go to

This Thurs., March 10th is the 30th university of Hell "leaving" Television.

Anticipating some disagreement on date(s) here's the evidence from a
May 2004 post to List:

>From Clinton Heylin's From The Velvets To The Voidoids:
"From the point of Hell's departure in March 1975 -- **his final shows
being the second weekend** of the New York Dolls' [for whom Television
opened] ill-fated comeback at the Little Hippodrome**-- ...."

Research [perpetual calendar or The Wonder] shows that the second weekend
in March 1975 occurred Sat.-Sun, March 7-8. But Television also opened for
the Dolls on the next night, Monday, March 9. It is extremely likely that
Hell also played Monday March 9.  Why? Because after March 9, 1975,
Television did not play at a club again until March 23 at CBGBs. Therefore,
**Hell left Television sometime between March 10 and March 22**; my best
estimate almost immediately after the end of the Monday night final
Hippodrome show---i.e..., in the very early morning-hours of March 10,
when he probably told Verlaine to 'Go F___ Yourself'.

But wait a minute you say; where did the March 22 come from?
>From Heylin: "His [Clement Burke] first gig was at CBGBs in March 1975.
 ...Debbie ... had dressed in jungle furs, which seemed to go down well
with the largely male audience. **But after the first set** Fred Smith
informed them that Richard Hell was leaving Television and that he was
taking Hell's place.** "  A case can be made that the Television club dates
gap of March 10 - 22 very likely occurred so that Fred could learn the songs

of his new band (and rehearse) .

A couple of sources claim THAT Hell left Television in April 1975 and Fred
Smith replaced him in May 1975.  This can't be true because that would mean
that Television would have had to play without a bassist for their 20 club
performances [see Wonder] between March 23--April 30.  Unless, someone else
filled-in.)

I wondered that too, in light of the phony Hell interview. But it
seems awfully short if you were going to go to the trouble of faking
something... then again...?

--Phil