(TV) NY Times article

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/nyregion/thecity/13reco.html

March 13, 2005

GREENWICH VILLAGE

Vinyl Idling

By PETER VON ZIEGESAR

ONCE a week for several weeks, I have been taking my 9-year-old son, Alden, to see Michael Carlucci at Subterranean Records, Mr. Carlucci's narrow, cluttered
store on Cornelia Street.

Subterranean Records, which under one name or another has been in the same
spot since the late 1970's, is underground in both a physical and a
metaphorical sense. You reach it by climbing down a long, narrow flight of concrete steps, and its gated door is so far below street level, you feel justified in looking around for an entrance to the nearby Fourth Street subway
station.

When we arrive this particular day, the gate is up and the lights are lighted,
but the door is locked. After knocking for a minute, we head away,
disappointed, but soon run into Mr. Carlucci, cheerfully scurrying down Fourth
Street with a takeout container of coffee in his hand.

Michael Carlucci is a small man, just shy of 40, thin and quick, with gentle eyes, pockmarked cheeks, a salt and pepper beard and long, tapered fingers. He dresses like the rock 'n roll survivor he is, in black jeans and boots, and a
ponytail emerges from his ever-present baseball cap.

Bins of vintage vinyl line one side of a narrow aisle in his little store, while a trove of rock arcana, recorded on CD, lines the other. If you are looking for Tom Verlaine's first solo album after he left Television, or an obscure early Bob Dylan import from Japan, or, perhaps, the unsurpassed mono version of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," you can find it here.

Mr. Carlucci is obsessed, not just by audio fidelity but by fidelity to the
recorded artist's first, deepest, most personal vision, the vision that
prevailed before fat living, burnout or some small clause in a contract made him lose control and turned his small miracle into a large-scale commercial
joke.

Most of the CD's in the store have handwritten yellow flags tucked into their corners. "How awesome is this!" one might say. "These guys haven't sounded this good in years. If you buy one record this year, buy this one, IT WILL
CHANGE YOUR LIFE!"

After Mr. Carlucci and I chitchat for a moment, he and my son get down to
business. Mr. Carlucci slides out a well-scuffed tube amp from under the
record bins. He produces a custom-made Fender Stratocaster and an acoustic guitar, and the two of them sit on whatever is available in the cramped space
- - a folding kitchen stool, the amp itself - and begin to trade riffs.

Alden tentatively picks out the opening bars of "Day Tripper" and Michael runs through something from Cream's 1967 album "Disraeli Gears" before they settle
on a pre-Led Zeppelin version of "Dazed and Confused."

To me, standing with the liner notes of "Another Side of Bob Dylan" in my hand, the two remind me of ancient collectors, hunched over baseball cards from another era, one whose players were long ago sold off and whose stadiums were long ago razed. "Sure you can finger it that way," Mr. Carlucci says with
quiet concentration, "but you want to see how Clapton did it?"

MY son takes guitar lessons nearby; Mr. Carlucci's role is to keep him on the straight and narrow of rock-and-roll cooldom. Partly as a result of Alden's visits to Subterranean Records, his hair is already longer than mine was when I was in high school, and he has started a mini-fad in his fourth grade class
for both tonsorial excess and 60's rock: at a recent sleepover at our
apartment, five electric guitars made their appearance.

One or two customers enter and stand there for a moment, breathing in the musty, cardboard-scented air and exuberant confetti of all those album covers,
the art of 50 years, but they leave without buying.

Things were not always this quiet at Subterranean Records. For years, Tom Verlaine and countless other members of the New York rock-and-bohemian fringe used the store as a place to use the phone, check paranoid theories over the Internet, flip through vinyl sides that often featured themselves, and sip coffee. Patti Smith's son worked the counter, and before his death by suicide last year, Robert Quine, the crusty side guitarist for Television and Lou
Reed, came in once a day, every day, Mr. Carlucci swears, for a hug.

But with the rapid and relentless upscaling of Greenwich Village, as well as the rise of rap on the airwaves, stores like Subterranean Records, along with Bleecker Bob's, Record Runner and Strider Records, are fast disappearing from the local landscape. At Subterranean, fewer of the outsider elite drop in to
sip coffee and listen to alternative takes from an early Traffic album.
Internet sales float the rent, but the store itself is in danger of becoming
redundant.

"I was telling my landlord the other day that I never thought business would get this bad," Mr. Carlucci says with regret. "If I sell four or five records, that's a good day. I'm going to give it until April or May, and if things don't pick up, I'm going to move everything to my wife's studio in Chinatown
and just sell over the Net."

I go out to do some errands, and when I return, my son is still perched on Mr. Carlucci's old tube amp in a pool of fluorescent light, fingering his way through the changes of "Purple Haze." We reluctantly grab our coats and make our goodbyes, though not before buying a rare Stones CD, which we will listen
to as soon as we get home.

Climbing up the narrow concrete stairs, I reflect that when Subterranean
Records is gone, there will be no more afternoons like this one, no more
passing of the hipster spark from one generation to the next. We pass the building that held Dylan's first New York apartment, and then several vacant storefronts before reaching Dave Van Ronk Street at Sheridan Square. History
is all around us, but it's drying up fast.

One or two steps later we board the bus, and in a minute, it's all behind us - a blur of headlights in the blue evening, a few stray guitar chords running
through my son's mind.

Peter von Ziegesar is a documentary filmmaker.