Re: (TV) woman-with-guitar sightings { > random thoughts}

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:44:19 -0800, Martin McClellan
<martin@rosacordis.com> wrote:
So, my faves
> are women who crafted unique sounds, or have a different take on it.

Agreed!  I like this kind of thing a great deal.

<My
> list would include quite a few of the already listed, but also:
> Judie Sill--her sense of timing and rhythm was truly remarkable

Ooh, she's good.  And just about forgotten.

> Poison Ivy (Va-va-voom!)

Yep.

> Ani di Franco (whom I actually don't like very much musically, but
> she's a great player, and I dig that she did her own thing with her
> label)

She can indeed play.

I'd note:

-Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney; she's evolved from wonderfully
inventive to truly monstrous.
-Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses, 50 Foot Wave, solo)... she can do it
all... the sole guitarist in two different three-piece bands... loads
of texture... good acoustic player, too.
-I really like Hilken Mancini of Fuzzy... a very unique lead guitar tone.
-Brix Smith of the Fall, who as a woman probably had the best chops in
the band, which is (A) not saying a lot, and (B) occasionally to the
detriment of what the Fall did best, but you've gotta love her.
-Joni.  Never met a guitar tuning system she didn't love, except the
one all of the rest of us use.

In underground rock from the punk era on there have been a lot of
female guitarists who played unique textural stuff that pretty much
shitcanned the whole lead/rhythm dichotomy to the point where their
playing can't be evaluated on normal terms.  Stuff like the Raincoats,
Bush Tetras, Salem 66, that dog., Cake-Like, the aforementioned
Throwing Muses and Fuzzy.  And there are plenty of good female
guitarists in the workaday Ramones mode (Ruthie from Magnapop comes to
mind).  All this stuff is generally much more interesting and
satisfying than the female players who follow the traditional rules of
the instrument to my mind (although such women are of course no less
interesting than male players who do the same).

-Rex