Re: (TV) (OT) Top 100 Irish albums

oops.....

Inflammable Material
Stiff Little Fingers

Hmmmmm, let me just start out by saying a few words
about a subject that has been beaten to death. People
get all worked up about today's "punk" music, and I
can't understand why. Bands such as Green Day, Blink
182, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, they're not even
punk at all. So when people tie on them the ever so
tired "pop-punk" label it gets me a little cranky.
Pop-punk? Come on now children, these aforementioned
bands owe far more to the Beatles than any respectable
punk band. Punk you see, was born with Iggy Pop and
the Stooges. It is raw, a form of brutal, simple
expression. Political expression, personal expression,
it doesn't matter. All that matters is that it is raw,
straight from the hip and reasonably faaaast, right?

Well, If the Stooges birthed that writhing, thrashing
beast known as punk, this album crystallized
everything that was right about this genre. Brilliant,
stunningly fast and savage riffs, tight and hammering
rythm section, and inisightful fury fueled lyrics. And
Jake Burns' singing?.... Well, simply put, it's the
greatest, nastiest howl you'll ever hear. However,
these are just ingredients. The finished product, is
Stiff Little Fingers' utter classic "Inflammable
Material" and a mere list of ingredients doesn't come
close to capturing it's essence. You see, on this
recording, magic happened. A fire of youth and anger
was layed down on a 24 track recorder, and also most
tantalizingly, true possibility. This is Punk, good
Sirs. Beautiful, nasty, and always young punk. It is
in my opinion, along with the Ramones' "Rocket to
Russia", Television's "Marquee Moon", The Clash's
"London Calling", Misson of Burma's "Signals, Calls
and Marches", Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" and Joy
Division's "Unkown Pleasures", one of the greatest
rock and roll albums ever made. It stands atop the
peak of almost unnatainable brilliance, giving us all
the middle finger in all it's ragged glory, and for
that, we are thankful. Children, buy this masterpiece.
There'll be time enough for Bach when you're old and
can no longer bang your head.

Flanders: Homer, God didn't set your house on fire.
Rev. Lovejoy: No, but He was working in the hearts of your friends and neighbors when they came to your aid, be they Christian [camera pans to Flanders], Jew [Krusty], or...miscellaneous [Apu].
Apu: Hindu! There are 700 million of us.
Lovejoy: Aw, thats super.

   -The Simpsons, Homer the Heretic