Re: (TV) Partial PBS Transcript (Verlaine & Hell: NY Dolls)

At 11:42 AM 5/12/2005, you wrote:
Hell: We sure didn't look like any other band in the world, and we were the
only band who had short hair - probably in the world. Ha , chuckle, chuckle.
(Now serious and intense, speaking slowly and deliberately) And everybody
worshipped us for it. They'd crawl into CBGBs; they were stacked up like....
like these tires. So thirsty were they for reality.

I taped this PBS doc at the time it aired; I've long thought Hell's "So thirsty were they..." remark is one of the great moments in the history of bullsh*t - from its sentiment right down to its syntax. Early in the episode there's a great bit on Jonathan Richman during which he describes, in that wonderful nasal tone of his, how he used to go down to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston just to stare at the "B.U. girls" who "had the suede boots" and wish he had a girlfriend like that. And the episode includes a nice - and informative to me - discussion of the influence of reggae on British punk.

Actually the entire PBS "Rock 'n' Roll" series was quite wonderful. Robert Palmer, the rock critic who produced it, was a very knowledgeable and open-minded guy and, unlike many critics, a musician himself (though not the Robert Palmer of "Addicted to Love" fame, who had his moments too - "Sneaking Sally Through the Alley" is a great song [largely because it's by Allen Toussaint]).

Anyone going to see the Gang of Four in Boston on Monday?

- Jesse