(TV) Cry Mercy Judge

Jay wrote:

You really do not like Cry Mercy Judge?

Do tell.

I love that song.

I don't love it. Not for want of trying... It just doesn't measure up to the rest of the album. It does have great guitar work and some brilliant touches, but, for me, it doesn't work as a song. The lyrics are too frivolous -- overdoing the legal puns -- and some lines are just careless: "You are confusing you, I'm not amusing me..." You *must* admit, that is disappointing, coming from such a great lyricist.

The rest of the album is so fine that any imperfections stick out. And Tom had other great songs he could have included on Flash Light, such as "Anna", "Sixteen Tulips" and "Vanity Fair".

--JoeT