Re: (TV) Dim Stars

Phil:
> "Memo to Marty", Hell's invective-filled tirade against Marty Thau,
> was dropped from the CD after threatened legal action.

Hey, I always though "Memo To Marty" was written for Martin SCORSESE,
although I couldn't figure out Hell's beef with him.  It even refers
to Rupert Pupkin, the lead character in "King Of Comedy"-- "And you
made Rupert Pupkin / Look just like he's a muppet"-- which definitely
made me think he was talking about the guy who created that film, and
who was also named Marty.  In fact I was just thinking about this song
while reading EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS about '70's Hollywood
directors.

Who is Marty Thau, then?

BTW, if you think Pupkin/muppet is an awkward rhyme, check out what
Hell rhymes with "prison" in the same song.  I do like the Dim Stars
record a lot but it does have some subpar lyrics by Hell standards
(although who knows, he's not prolific enough to tell), a few okay but
unnecessary rehashes,  and yes, I have always hated "Stray Cat
Generation" (although I didn't know Hell was uninvolved in it).  I
love Thurston and Steve, but Don Fleming always struck me as a bit of
a prat.  I saw Gumball open for Sonic Youth and Mudhoney back in, erm,
'91, was unimpressed, and have never heard much by him to change that
opinion.

-Rex