(TV) OT: Buddy Guy encounter

Hey ! Damn right I saw Buddy Guy last night ! He was here in Portland for the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival. Also saw Charlie Musselwhite too. Buddy was in great form - is he always in such great form ? The show was a bit shorter than the first time I saw him (about three years ago in Tacoma). Buddy played some amazing stuff though on a wood finished Tele and a polka dotted ( think it was a Strat). Broke a string on the Tele - seemed to be his favored guitar. Did some amazing string harmonic stuff that involved striking the string in a certain way with his pick and bending the string simultaneously. How could I tell what he was doing from the distance I was from him ? I just don't know... I guess I could just hear it. Was Jeff Beck influenced by Buddy Guy - was Buddy Guy influenced by Jeff Beck ? If I closed my eyes last night, it could have been either guitarist at moments. Guy proceeded to play through the history of modern blues by playing in the styles of selected blues guitarists: Albert King, Lightning Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, and Guitar Slim. Seeming a little distracted, he rarely played a full song all the way through. He did do a fantastic rendition of "Fever" . That man just smiles and smiles. His band cooked. He did some great call-and-response stuff with his sax player and his keyboardist. His second guitarist could really burn it up too. Great show. Don't miss Buddy if he comes to your neighborhood.

- Russ