Re: (TV) More on CBGBs, and Television at #2

Much as I love Television, I don't think it's even close. The Ramones pretty much changed the way Rock is played. If you wander into a club at random, there's a much greater chance that the band onstage will be influenced by The Ramones than by Television. Add to that second-hand Ramones influence through the Sex Pistols, and you've got a good case for them being the most influential band since The Beatles.

You gotta point there.

I think the Ramones opened up the idea that you do not have to be an "accomplished" instrumental technician to be a musician. I can imagine that would be a great inspiration to any kid who felt that to be a musician you had to be able play 20 minute guitar solos (in the day when instructional material to learn how to play rock guitar was virtually non-existent). Of course, the bad side of all this is that there were more terrible bands created than need be.