Re: (TV) More on CBGBs, and Television at #2

On 8/5/05 9:29 AM, "Phil Obbard" <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- eRacerX <eracerx@adelphia.net> wrote:
>> One other comment about influences  - I read about my hero's
>> influences, and then seek out that music.
>
> This is a my strategy too, and it's worked fairly well. I don't think
> one would ever get from Morrissey/The Smiths to the New York Dolls
> any other way! Hey, even Peter Buck's (of REM) first concert was a
> Sex Pistols show.
>
> --Phil

That works for me too, except my discovery of Television was more of a
misunderstanding. I was reading Rolling Stone back in the 70's and I saw a
blurb about Television breaking up. That in itself didn't mean anything to
me except a band member was quoted as saying that they broke up during a
full moon because Moby Grape broke up during a full moon. Being a big Grape
fan (bizarre but what can I say) I ran out and bought MM. It wasn't until I
understood the history of Television that I realized that the before
mentioned quote referred to Moby Grape's lack of a large fan base despite
almost universal critical acclaim rather than any musical influence.

I know I have told this story in the past on this list but if I don't tell
it here, where else can I go? It can be lonely being a Television fan in
SoCal.

Mike