(TV) CBGBs to be evicted

>From IMDB.com...

"Legendary punk club CBGB is no more - a last-ditch bid to save the
New York City venue has failed. Blondie, Public Enemy, Bad Brains and
Gavin Rossdale's new band Institute were among the groups that
finished off a month of benefit dates in New York's Washington Square
Park on Wednesday, but their efforts were in vain. The venue's
landlord, the Bowery Residents' Committee (BRC), had, apparently,
already decided to evict owner Hilly Kristal, bringing the club that
helped launch rock icons like the Ramones and Talking Heads to a sad
end. In a statement released earlier yesterday, BRC executive
director Muzzy Rosenblatt said, "It is in the best interest of our
clients - the homeless and neediest New Yorkers - to sever this
relationship." The statement asks CBGB bosses to "vacate the premises
both voluntarily and expeditiously". But E Street Band guitarist
Steve Van Zandt has blasted the announcement, fuming, "We're not
going without a fight. "If the eviction proceedings start tomorrow,
which I hope it doesn't, we'll fight it in the courts." And Kristal,
who opened the club in 1973, had continued to book acts for the
coming months in an act of defiance. He said, "We intend to stay.
This is not a eulogy. There's no reason why we shouldn't come to an
understanding." Kristal insists he's reluctant to move CBGB to a new
venue, although he has been offered a permanent home in Las Vegas,
Nevada. He adds, "CBGB started here and it was nurtured here. Moving
somewhere else wouldn't be the same thing. A rock club changing
locations has never worked." The club opened its doors in 1973 and
became known as the most vital venue in the New York punk scene of
the mid-to-late 1970s."