Verlaine / RE: (TV) Dylan / Renaldo & Clara

To keep this slightly on topic I went to see Dylan in
Boston in Dec. of 1995; Patti Smith opened and Verlaine
sat on a folding chair in the shadows occasionally playing
his guitar (mostly bottle-neck style). [Dylan was stupendous.]

Why don't Television ever play "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"
(as an encore) since they "reformed" in 2001?
------

There's was a scathing review by the film critic Pauline
Kael, in The New Yorker magazine Dylan's film (co-writer)
and director, "Renaldo and Clara". [It appears in the book,
"The Dylan Companion', and in Kael's "Reeling"]

I can't find it on the internet except for several quotes
below.  .

Unfortunately (or fortunately[?]), I can't find her most
virulent, but best sentence (with which she ended her review)
on the scene where Dylan standing over an Indian's grave
tells Allen Ginsberg that he wants to be buried in an
unmarked grave. (Maybe Ty has nearby, the review's
last sentence?)

"The camera keeps saying: this is no ordinary man who walks
among you. ... It's not just people previously unexposed to
Dylan who may be repelled by his arrogant passivity; even
those who idolized him in the Sixties may gag a little."

"He is overpoweringly present, yet he is never in direct
contact with us-not even when he performs. We are invited
to stare at the permutations of his masked and unmasked face
in close-up to perceive the mystery of his elusiveness-his
distance."

"(He has) more tight close-ups than any other actor can have
had in the whole history of movies."

".  [he's] a surly, mystic tease' concerned principally with
confronting his audience with 'the mystery of his elusiveness'.

It is a judgment that applies equally well to his entire career.
Certainly the Dylan who emerges from the pages of this mammoth
tome seems hopelessly trapped in his own mythology, unable to
normalize his life in the way that peers like Paul McCartney
and Eric Clapton have managed, still living in 'a pressure
cooker of paranoia'.

For an artist of such brilliance, it seems a sad and probably
unnecessary price to pay.

Dylan said the film was "about the naked alienation of the inner
self against the outer self."

Of its butt-numbing playing time, he said, "To me it's not long
enough."