(TV) Townsend & Link Wray / Batman / R. Lloyd + James Bond/ Q/ U-2 Rev isited

Jesse (and other[?] insulted Batman tv-show fans),

>Hey, them's fighting words! I'm somewhat younger
>than you, Leo, and let me tell you, for a young
>boy at the time, that was a pretty exciting show!
>I'm >not even sure I recognized it as "camp." Made
>me a >Batman fan for life. Plus a great theme song -
>covered not only by Wray but, among many others,
>the Who and the Jam.

>From about age 7-14, I collected Batman comic
books (then all the stories and artwork were
done by Batman's creator Bob Kane, nothing'
like the comic and 'novels' of Batman now,
which I don't read).

You know how kids can get a 'little' fixated or
obsessed about certain things? ----well that's
how I was about Batman comics. I tried to track
down old issues that relatives and friends might
have tossed half-ripped into their garages or
basements---I'd also spend way too much time
in used-comic-book-stores.

About 5 days before the end of each month, the
waiting and  anticipation for the latest issue
to go on sale at the  neighborhood drugstore was
almost unbearable.  (If  felt that same intensity
about Verlaine/Television releasing new material,
given the long wait, it would kill me.)

Years later, when Kane sold the rights to have
Batman be a late 60's tv show, (but my interests
had moved on to music James Bond, and girls--not
in that order) I was still intrigued--even a bit
nostalgic at the prospect of a tv Batman.

And then when I get to watch the first tv-episode
I was crushed----I hated it; it was cheesy and
the totally camp angle was a  big no no (another
one of my vices I hate(d) camp in music esp.
rock---say, The Dictators--Oopps! probably
just insulted someone else---I'll take my
music straight thank you---if I want camp I'll
read Susan Sontag :>) .

Much later during my poverty stricken College
years,  with its never-ending College loan
payments, I got so financially desperate that
sold all but 5 of my extensive collection of
Batmans to one of the new breed of Comic Book
Stores (they offered me practically nothin even
though they were quite aware how rare and
valuable they were).

>Plus a great theme song - covered not only by
>Wray but, among many others, **the Who** and the Jam.

I got a phone call from a boyhood buddy of mine, who
said today's Globe Link Wray obituary quotes Pete
Townsend as saying that he never would have taken
up playing music if it hadn't been for hearing Wray.

Speaking of soundtracks/themes, there are a couple
of live recordings of Television in which (I'm
pretty sure it's Lloyd)---between songs, to kill
time so Tom can fuss with his pedals[?]---plays that
James Bond theme, the spooky guitar riff (the
1960's Bond movies' version), and at another
concert (again I think it's Lloyd, although the rest
of the band plays along for a few seconds) there is
a snippet of the more modern (Pierce Brosnan-era)
Bond theme.

I know John Barry composed the music for the early
Bond movies , but I've always wondered who actually
played that particular guitar riff. Does anyone know?

Last but not least, regarding my MSG e-mails earlier:
what do you get when you add 130 to Nov. 22 ?