Re: (TV) New Book ? / Mitchell's Advocate

Some rock bios can rise above this dilemma, I think - if a writer really digs deep into the history, and gains access to the people with real stories to tell, beyond the usual music journalist-established facts/gossip, a book can appeal to both fanatics and browsers alike.
  Two that I can think of at the moment, that fit the bill are 'Shakey' (Neil Young) by James Mcdonough; and 'The Fall' by Mick Middles with Mark E. Smith.
  I'm sure there must be more. I still haven't gotten around to Dylan's 'Chronicles vol.1'

  I agree that any book about Television is a good thing, free publicity for the band, and that every town library should have a copy. But from the description at amazon.co.uk, this seems like an outsider's vague overview of the subject. (Sorta like me, criticizing a book I haven't read yet, ha)
  Good that publishers are willing to put out books on cult-ish music subjects these days - there's a Guided By Voices history at the local Barnes and Noble.

      Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> writes
>Worth noting: this guy is a published author, which few if any of the
>fine writers on this list can say of themselves.  So if he chooses to
>use that credibility to convince a publisher to put out a book on
>Television... good on him!  And if that gets a little more notice paid
>to Tom and the band, double good.

Agreed.
I am, in fact, working on a book about this stuff, but the problem is -
do you write it for the 200 people who care or do you aim it at
everyone
else who doesn't care? If the former, then where's the selling point?
If
the latter, then maybe it ends up as being about "the band who invented
punk" which, frankly, is not only wrong but a waste of time.