Re: (TV) Has TV replace Oliver Ray?

On 1/4/06, nelgin@nyct.net <nelgin@nyct.net> wrote:

> I think Tom's playing with Patti's band is good for all of them,
> particularly Tom and Patti themselves. It's good for Tom because he's
> obviously making money (the Vox that he was playing through at the most
> recent shows was new, I believe), and it's good for Patti because it's
> bringing her back to her earlier, more artistic vibe as opposed to the
> more rock vibe of her later stuff (which I for some reason associate with
> Fred Sonic Smith's influence). I base that on the emphasis on early
> material at the recent shows. My totally uninformed prediction is that Tom
> will keep playing with Patti's band and will influence her to return to
> her earlier, more daring and creative style.

I've liked the last three Patti albums just fine, but it has definitely
seemed odd that Tom is almost always on them but incredibly unobtrusive...
his playing has been tasteful and complementary, but don't we all want to
hear his lead guitar spiking outta there "Break It Up" style at least once a
record?  The idea of him playing across a whole PS album (for the fist time
ever, oddly) is pretty exciting, especially trading off with Lenny.  No
offense to Oliver, but PS, TV and LK are figures whose work has been
fascinating for one reason or another to me since I first started caring
about music, and Oliver isn't.   So checking in on what those folks (and Jay
Dee et. al.) might get up to togehter after all this time is very
interesting and, yeah, hopefully points to good things for TV himself.

On a personal note, I got to rehearsal last night to find that:
A) My drummer had acquired a nice new Jazzmaster and was kind enough to let
me play it for a few hours, and
B) My bassist arrived wearing a beret, which, considering that I showed
up in a trenchcoat, kinda made me fell like a complete Tom Verlaine
Impersonator Kit had walked into the room.  I let the bassist keep the
beret, but...  mmmm, Jazzmaster.

-Rex