Re: (TV) Parsing Tom's Voice / P. Smith / Verlaine on WFMU archive

On 1/10/06, Casey, Leo J <Leo.J.Casey@volpe.dot.gov> wrote:

> No disrespect [to Tom or the state of W. Virginia],

This is proably the first time I've ever seen Verlaine and my home state
mentioned within a single phrase.  Thanks, Leo.  Be it known that at least
one major fan does hail from West Virginia.

But, music selection-wise, gotta agree with Keith.

> Except for maybe the Twighlight Zone and Bond
> themes---thought he might play more classical
> stuff and maybe A. Ayler or Dolphy. (In fact, I
> believe that he was holding back, and that he
> deliberately chose to limit his selections to
> just his 'Thrift-shop' discoveries rather than
> to all of what he likes).

I dunno, the fact that he listens to this stuff makes me feel like he's
really just that "out there", whereas his pleasant (!) manner here makes me
believe he's pretty sincere and unpretentious about it.  He keeps describing
his own choices as having "weird" guitars or sounds on them...

Three things that are also kind of interesting--

1) Not only does Tom not talk about his current or upcoming projects,
neither he nor the DJ identify in as anything other than "a guitarist", no
direct mention of Television, his solo albums, people he's worked with, nor
any context other than that he plays guitar and has been to London and
Brazil as a musician.  So if anyone listening didn't know who Tom was, they
still wouldn't!
2)  I thought it was funny when Tom said that his friends had better record
collections than him, because it made me wonder what Tom's "friends" are
like... I mean the people he just calls to say "What's up?" or "Hey, wanna
hit the thrift store?" or to just generally shoot the shit.
3)  Did he really say that "Beat Generation" was on the first 45 he ever
bought, when Hell was the one who walked away with the credit for "Blank
Generation"?  I'd never heard the earlier song before.

Unrelated (4):  Did that other brief interview not state relatively
definitively that Thrill Jockey was putting out two new Verlaine records in
April?  Has this been confirmed elsewhere? And do we have any clue at all
what's on them, song-wise (nobody has reported hearing a new non-Television
Verlaine song for years as far as I can recall).

-Rex

-Rex

>What a wag he is, eh?

Keith or anyone:  In UK is a 'wag' a wuss or
worse? In the federal govt. work we do here,
a 'wag' stands for a 'wild-ass guess'