(TV) bowie

care to respond (email from a friend):

>let me know what you think of low, since you prolly
>havent listened to it in 25 years
>
>it has aged marvelously

Unless you asked, I wasn't going to bring it
up..........

I think it has aged badly - not badly so that it is
unlistenable (it
*is* listenable), but rather it has been repeated so
many times by so
many sources that at this point it sounds naive and
quaint.

I was never really crazy for Bowie (some of his
material is
good).  Though praised as an innovator, for me he was
the ultimate
"me too" kind of guy - very adept at perceiving the
"next big thing"
ahead of the masses but behind the true innovators.
(Sort of a
British version of Steve Miller). Indeed, Low would
have been nothing
without Eno - and at that, it is Eno at his most
"puttering about"
rather than at his most cutting.  Sounds a bit like
leftover Roxy
Music outtakes.

Bowie first and foremost was a showman.  And a great
one, at
that.  And crucial at helping push the careers of
people whom he
*knew* were his artistic  superiors.  And being a
showman is not a
bad thing - I loved the plate spinners on the Ed
Sullivan
show.  Bowie is the rock n roll equivalent of the
plate spinner on
the Ed Sullivan show.