RE: (TV) maurice rickard, science guy, and, i don't wanna die

At 11:46 AM -0700 4/2/06, robin dunn wrote:
yes, a fair amount of slack.  actually the wire seems
pretty bent up and puny -- i would replace it if i
knew how to deal w/ the end that goes into the body.

If it's not on the verge of breaking, it's probably ok, no matter how puny it seems.

and w/ that slack, i'd imagine the ground might come
into contact w/ the foil -- that'd be okay?

I'd tape over the capacitor leads so that there weren't any shorts. If it contacted the foil, you could be looking at a ground loop inside the guitar. This wouldn't cause shocks, but would result in noise. As an example, with the coax I'm using in my Kalamazoo, I've grounded the shields at one end only. While more ground contact points seems like it would be a good thing, it actually isn't--you want the ambient EMF to have one clear path to ground, as opposed to several.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/