Re: (TV) The Embarrassment

They are playing twice here in August. Once up in Lawrence.

  If I am not going to see Television - this will do just fine.

  M.

mark smith <mark1968@ptd.net> wrote:
  Micah wrote:

> An Appreciation This is not a critical history of the band, but I should
briefly describe them for those new to the group. The Embos (as they are
affectionately known) were from the pop/art/punk school of rock and roll. The
songs were generally in the 3-minute rock variety, but ranged from
Joy-Division-like grind to bouncy pop. Their range of live covers went from
60s soul to Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley to John Lennon. The lyrics were
almost always humorous with a semi-serious edge and occasional arty
pretensions. Goffrier's guitar could pound out a jangly three-chord sequence
or veer into punk roar that would shame Joey Ramone. Giessman's drumming had a
manic quality that never showed up in his later Del Fuegos work. The band as a
group affected a nerdy, reedy look that was appropriate for some of the more
introspective lyrical jaunts but which clashed with the band's rocking sound.
The lyrics often covered odd topics: mathematicians, explorers, B-movie
horror
> scenes, 60s TV, driving through a middle american town. In many ways, I tend
to think of them as a group to listen to while driving some backroad:
rhythmic, fast, quirky yet all-American like the landscape. My personal
opinion is that they were one of the best bands, period, of the 1980s, and
represent a high point in Amer-indie rock following the punk period.

>Rex Broome wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Micah wrote:
>

>>I just got back from Cleveland. One of the prizes I was able to walk
>>away with was my copy of the Embarrassment's "Heyday 1979-1983".
>>

>Oddly my copy of that album is attributed to The Church.
>
>Erm, just being a jerk, because of my (ahem) embarassment at not being that
>familiar with the band, which sounds interesting... what did they actually
>sound like?
>
>-Rex

No f-ing way, best band of the period