(TV) Fees Up / Vocals / Preview of Coming Attractions

I've got to fess-up---I've had TV's new cds for awhile.
And I've written down my take/opinion/criticism/praise etc.,
but will wait a week or so until after the cds have been
officially released.

That way enough people will have heard "Songs and Other Things"
to be able to tell me my review/ideas are totally wrong!  :>)

But given that, I'll write a little about Robin's and Rex's
take on his voice [even A comment on HIS voice on "Songs and
Other Things"]

>had me wondering if tom's vocal limitations have
>played a part in his lack of vocal output until this
>month.  or maybe he doesn't think of it that way at
>all.  i just can't help but think he may find singing
>challenging.

>he could, off and on (I don't know if he just took more
>care on some records than others), but you are right, he's
>sounded beyond awful for years now.

Agree.

However, at live-Television-shows 2003-2005, Tom's
singing has sounded dramatically better.  E.g., he
put a lot more effort and emotion into his vocals---he
even extends/stretches out certain words in a song, or
parses a particular word (usually one at the end of line)
giving the first part of the word a different shading
than the second part [words fail me] there's more
inflection, it's less of a monotone---he's actually
singing a little!

On the new album, I think it's the third track, 'Orbit',
or maybe the 4th, his voice sounds to me a lot like Iggy
Pop's on the album, 'New Values'.

IMHO, on the new record he tries to sing with an
intonation (assume the verbal persona of) the male
fictional character in each song. He's experimenting;
he's playing the roles of the characters---similar to
what he did on Flash Light's 'The Scientist Writes A
Letter', or 'At 4am'.

Unfortunately, for me, the result of these
'experiments' on Songs and Other Things" is  painful
to listen to.  It's his worst vocals ever (although I
was never crazy about his unctuous [inadvertent I'm
sure] vocals on most of the songs on The Wonder).

On one of the new songs (I think it's 'The Earth Is
In The Sky '), he destroys the whole mood and grandeur
that his guitar(s) have worked so hard to
achieve----by inserting a spoken-part that silly, not
believable, too long, and makes me cringe. As a result,
my original grade of an 'A' for this track get's knocked
down to a C- . I plan on learning how to edit out this
part of the song, restoring it to an 'A' :>)   .