Re: (TV) Re: reviews: (mines and others ....)

I wonder if "Peace Piece" is a homage to the piano sound, specifically Bill Evans...who wrote a song titled "Peace Piece" in the late 50'.

  I might be on thin ice here. I recognize that. Been here before.

  M.

amilcar amarante <amilcaramarante2002@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
  i thik AMG reviews are pretty fair ,as keith s , and at the rik of sounding like a fanatic groupie, here is my two cents about the new albums ,
seems like he made a conscious effort in record songs with interesting chords changes and harmonies,but still mantain them simple and fluid enough ,with short guitar solos and supportive parts,for wich he uses slide ,12 strings , more effected (flanged ,delayed ),and distorted tones than in the past .
is notable how ,after such a long time ,the songs album still sounds like a continuation of "the wonder " ,and the instrumental sounds a lot like "warm and cool".
"songs and .." is one of the verlaine s more even efforts , with 14 cuts ,all strong ones ,my least favorite is "blue light" ,is good ,but i still not fully get it ,yet ...
the instrumental opener , sounds a bit different of the rest of the album ,with a stiffier rhytmn feel ,it reminds me of "shimmer",the rest has really good grooves ,and the production is potent yet simple ,some of the songs have the more raw drum sounds in verlaine s studio albums ...a refreshing approach for me ,it just sounds real ,more like a garage or a concert ...
"heavenly charm" is almost a one note song but i cant stop listening to it ,and the grinding ,detuned solo is just sick ...
"orbit" : when the chorus kicks in,after the deceptive verses , it goes to such an unexpected place ,(i wonder what are these sounds are ,organs ?,maybe doubled guitars?)..is really clever ,the "spy"type guitar fills you never would think are going to work but they totally do ...
"from her fingers" ,a rocking stonessy type of groove ,all the solos on the album are different ,he does his version of bluesy leads at the end ...
"nice actress" ,another"spy" sounding tune ... top notch
"a stroll" ,i cant think of a better time than just sitting and listen to it ! the drums souns tuned real low , a more "modern" sond ......
"the earth is in the sky",almost a combination of "one time at sundown" ,"at 4 am " and "pillow " but is so good that i imagine no one is complaining ,the solo tone sounds like maybe a vox amp ...
"lovebirds ..." has vocals doubled ,a really expresive song ...
"documentary" may be my favorite right now ,musically it conveys the states of madness really well...
i like to know what "shingaling " means ,is a ridiculous tune but in a good way ...
"all weirded out " the intencionally out of key leads add even more weirdness ,sounds like a real bad guitar with the strigs raised up impossible high ...
"the day on you " another one chord song ,in the slide melody ,he made pretty common notes sound real exotic somehow ,and at the end a guitar army unleashes ,yet is still kind of cool and short ...
"peace piece " i like how he named a piece with pensive, ambiguos feel ,it sounds to me like the two guitar resembles a pianist s two hands ...
as for "around" at first , all the cuts seemed short and faded out quickly ,but i think is better at the end ,of course i would mind a more "burning",full of solos , album in the future ...it has a detached ,loose feel...the tune at the end with brushes and upright bass ,has a strong impulse label- late sixties feel , a pharoah sanders-alice coltrane type ...
i really think that these two albums are tom at his finest , we coudn t ask for better ,maybe only more ...