(TV) Verlaine & Rip -- at the Village, Dublin, 28 July 2006

A fantastic concert. Intimate venue, most people seated, but there was plenty of standing room at the back -- they could have sold more tickets.

Tom & Jimmy seated on stage. They played for about two hours. Very little tuning between songs.

They opened with "The Day On You", followed by "Souvenir From A Dream". I'm not sure of the order after that, but they played the following (and I might be forgetting one):

Orbit (better than the recorded version, I think)
Little Johnny Jewel (utterly different)
Kingdom Come
The Scientist Writes A Letter
Words From The Front (pretty faithful to the original)
Documentary (again, better than the recorded version, IMO)
Pillow (utterly reconstructed, but still lovely)
Nice Actress
The Earth Is In The Sky (Tom sang "This Earth..."; he was playing all those intricate guitar lines as he sang)
"Biker" tune
Let Go The Mansion
A "little rehearsal" tune (utterly brilliant, and polished)
Prove It (melodic version!)
Encore: A "Portuguese" tune

Sheer mastery of the electric guitar. Beautiful, beautiful music.

A few minutes afterwards Tom & Jimmy were back on stage dismantling their equipment, unassuming and smiling, accepting congratulations from a few audience members.

I realized afterwards that the set list was a selection from all stages of Tom's career, with four songs from Songs & Other Things.

--JoeT

--

Echte DSL-Flatrate dauerhaft f|r 0,- Euro*. Nur noch kurze Zeit!