Re: (TV) this one's for keith (and maybe howard)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:36:00 +0100
Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> My man Bob! Another grumpy old fart! (Which doesn't make him wrong, of
> course). I think he's talking about what Mr Lloyd was referring to when
> he said of Marquee Moon and Adventure, "They were recorded without
> processed cheese. Listen to old '50s records. The style may be dated,
> but the recording isn't."

This is something that I talked about with Richard a few years ago when
we interviewed him for Eargazm.  I loved the sound of "The Cover Doesn't
Matter," which to me sounds clean and unprocessed, even though there was
obviously a lot of "tweezing" that went on.

It's not the sound of the moment - it's not the sound of any moment.  It's
a clean, fresh recording that is about letting the music make its mark
rather than having a producer leave his mark on the sound.  It's also a
dynamic record, and not compressed to hell and back for maximum volume
beginning to end (also known as radio-ready).

I'd love to hear a Lloyd-produced Dylan album - I think it'd be amazing.