Re: (TV) joanna newsom--interview in stomp and stammer

On 11/30/06, Jim Kauffman <jkauff@verizon.net> wrote:

> A comparison that I haven't seen yet is to Nico's Marble Index. Nico
> didn't
> have the chops on her harmonium that J.N. has on her harp, but I hear the
> same
> stunning setting (sub VDP for Cale) of an irregular jewel.

Newsom just doesn't do it for me, and "Marble Index" is a big favorite of
mine.  She sounds like an artier Victoria Williams doing Tori Amos covers to
me, sort of.

I tried to like Milk Eyed Mender, but it never really hit it for me.  When I
heard that Ys was "proggier", I figured it was time for me to get off the
boat.  Same thing happened with the Decemberists.  If I have to try that
hard to like something, it's not worth it.

Doing ye olde Top 10 list this year will be a challenge, though... basically
good year all around for music.

-Rex