Re: (TV) greg reviews Joanna Newsome

--- Steve Rovner <serovner@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm just getting old and falling into to
> mindset of "I've heard that music before, and all I
> hear now are recycled ideas".

i appreciate what steve wrote.  i end up feeling "out
of touch" because i don't feel excited about new bands
folks are raving about.  some of it is age.  okay,
maybe all of it.  i think that beyond a certain age,
we are not as impressionable to new music (there's
been some research to show this).  and also, i have
heard (almost all) of it before.  i get the feeling
that lots of folks writing in the music press are
twentysomething.  which is fine.  except they weren't
around to get excited about all this same stuff ages
ago, they don't have the same memory of it having been
done before.

so when some new artist breaks through and excites me
-- it is pretty remarkable.  i'd be embarassed to say
how few new artists do this for me anymore.  newsom is
one.

the black angels were not the first (and likely won't
be the last) "hot new band from austin" that i heard
about from some tv-lister in the outer-shires of
england, or such (explosions in the sky were another).
 i bought the cd, played it plenty, tried to like it,
but couldn't fall in love.  too damned derivative.  if
you want to be a vu tribute band, fine, be one; but
then lose the jim morrison vocals.  saw them live for
the first time friday (shortened set at a festival);
no change in my opinion.

ah, we are so emotional about music, and so serious!
but as individuals we all have different pathways that
get stimulated, or turned off.  in any case, it's
wonderful to have choices.  and it's good to have a
forum like this, where we can make new discoveries.