(TV) Field of Fire Deluxe

I came home yesterday to find a small package from NYC on the table -
the re-release of Richard Lloyd's "Field of Fire".  I remember hearing
this record around '88 or so, and I recall that my feeling at the time
was that it was oddly produced - definitely a product of its time, without
the pure glassine shimmer of Television's records.

So while it's nice to have the album re-released, the stunner here
is disc two - Richard's attempt to "regain some of the naked skin of the
original recordings."  He definitely succeeded!  I'm a huge fan of the
production on "The Cover Doesn't Matter."  It's clean but raw, with lots
of care given to the production but devoid of a producer trying to put
his stamp or signature sound on a record.  Disc 2 sounds ripshit hot,
with razor-sharp guitar lines and vocals that showcase the lyrics without
pushing them down your throat.

I'm glad to hear the original disc again, which marks a certain point in
my life.  I'm thrilled to have the new version of it, which is as fresh
as a brand new release, and which I think will bear repeated listening.

Thanks, Richard!