(TV) Mark Ribot/Albert Ayler with mention of Verlaine

Little snippet from Invisible Jukebox feature with Mark Ribot from recent edition of The Wire

Mark Ribot: '...what i liked about [Albert Ayler] was there was a lot going on but he managed to do it without the kind of complex harmonies that are associated with jazz. So I felt there was a translation possible between this kind of free jazz language and a kind of punk rock.

Alan Licht: 'What's interesting about that is that all the original punk guys like Tom Verlaine, Lenny Kaye and Robert Quine were listening to Albert Ayler'.

Mark Ribot: Robert Quine gave me the cassette copy of [the Ayler LP] Swing Low Sweet Spiritual, and Quine was the one who pointed out to me the amazingness of Henry Grimes bass playing on that record. Quine considered that to be the most extraordinary bass playing he had ever heard. I don't think many people in the audience back then - many of the fans of Verlaine or Richard Hell - went back and made the same connection, but the players were certainly listening to free jazz, and it gave them and all of us who followed permission to do what was done....

Graham