RE: (TV) (OT) Heylin's latest gets mixed reception

>From Scotlands's National Newspaper Review of Heylin's New Book:

"Did America really invent punk, just like it won the Second World War?
Heylin counts them in, the CBGBs bands: Television, Blondie, the Ramones.
It's true that Television played their first-ever gig as far back at March
2, 1974. And Richard Hell, their first bassist, claims he was first to cut
his hair short and wear ripped clothes held together with safety-pins. "I
consciously set out to make it possible for there to be a trend," he says.
But this wasn't a scene or, far less, a movement. **It was just some more
New York attitudinising.** "

"By chapter two I'm really getting annoyed. It's not quite telling me that
Australia invented punk, but it is boring on about an outfit called the
Saints and how they were so 'anti-rock'."

"**Johnny Rotten was a fan of Van Der Graaf Generator** as well, but this
didn't come out, not then. ..Confusion reigned over punk hair-length. Pistol
Steve Jones reprimanded TV Smith of the Adverts over his being too long. ('I
thought ...what is the point of a movement that says you gotta get your hair
cut? But I still did.')."

"Punk didn't emerge fully-formed; most of its leading players had a shady
past.  And while the Clash's Mick Jones was declaring, 'We want to get rid
of rock'n'rollers like Rod Stewart who kiss royalty', Joe Strummer was
blagging tickets for the Rolling Stones' last-ever UK arena tour where Mick
Jagger bounced on a 50 ft inflatable phallus. .The Clash fare especially
badly in this history. ...Heylin wants us to be aware that, in those vital
early days, the Clash were primadonnas and posers and no more valid than
Sham 69."
http://living.scotsman.com/books.cfm?id=105742007