Re: (TV) Never Too Late: 2006 NYC Verlaine Review

On 4/29/07, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> In a new song, "Shingaling," Mr. Verlaine and Mr. Ripp tickled high,
> darting
> variations and deep twangs over a Bo Diddley beat as Mr. Verlaine sang, "I
> remember when time was king/ Now it's just shingaling." During the
> generous
> set, it never sounded as if the songs were being stretched. Mr. Verlaine
> was
> just headed deeper inward, toward his kind of rock essentials.

Good memories from scantly a year a go... I'd forgotten how much
"Shingaling" became such a live highlight.  But it's not a Bo Diddley
beat... it's apparently the New Orleans "second line" rhythm, of which I'd
nevear heard until it was mentioned in numerous reviews of "Songs & Other
Things".  So much for my career in ethnomusicology, I guess.

-Rex