Re: (TV) a friend responds

On 5/20/07, Jay <piazzasanmarco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't care if he starts his show with a Mantra,  The
> Lord's
> Prayer,  a  Jewish Baruch or whatever.  The people in
> the back aren't
> the biggest assholes.  Lloyd is.  How DARE him foist
> his own frigging
> sanctimonious pseudo religious self-deception on an
> audience that
> PAID to see him play music.  He can fuck himself.

I won't go nearly that far, but the tone of Richard's self-promotion this
time out is causing me to do something I never thought I'd do:  appreciate
Tom's quiet, self-defeating "it's just some record I put together and some
of it is boring / fans? what fans?" approach to (not) promoting his records
last year.  That was infuriating at the time, but in retrospect, it could
have been worse.

It's not just the pseudo-religious stuff, and it's not just the combative
boastfulness... it's the uncomfortable dichotomy between the two.  Getting
angry at people for not being loving and accepting... that's some cognitive
dissonance for ya.

Now, I don't expect Tom to say jack squat about Richard's departure or other
activities, but I would really, really, dearly love to hear Fred or
(especially) Billy's perspective on this whole turn of events.  Anyone got a
line on the Other Two these days?

-Rex