Re: (TV) Television on Summerstage info

> "Question:  Who wants an image of the image?
> Answer:  Tom Velaine
>
> And that is what you will get if you attend June 16th's Summerstage
> show.  Jimmy Ripp plays in Richard Lloyd's stead and Tom Ver-lame
> informs NO one.
> P.S. Major props if you can name the source of the reference in the
> above question."

I hope Richard gets well soon.

If this is some kind of dickish maneuver on Tom's part, well, we know he's
capable of such things.  I think the probability is fairly high that both
Mr. Verlaine and Mr. Lloyd are both artists capable of sublime work, but may
not be the most personable or gracious of people in their dealings with
others, or social graces.  I can live with that.

I don't personally feel that Verlaine/Smith/Fricca/Ripp is "Television".
That said, it's a hell of a band.  And if that band goes on to make some
more records soon, and that's what it takes to get new Verlaine recordings
to the public in less than, oh, let's say, another 15 years, then the fact
that it goes under the misnomer "Televison" would be, for this fan, a small
price to pay.

And if a hale and hearty Richard Lloyd gets to develop the solo career he
feels he's not been to pursue for too long, so much the better as well.

And finally, I would say that, having seen the Verlaine/Lloyd combo live
twice, and the Verlaine/Ripp combo just as many times, my opinion, and my
opinion alone, is that Lloyd is probably the best sheer player of the three,
but also that the musical chemistry between Verlaine and Ripp is stronger at
this point than the chemistry between Verlaine and Lloyd.  The personal
relationships certainly seem to follow suit.

So that's just the way I feel about it.  Then again, I actually even like
the Echo & the Bunnymen record without Ian MacCulloch.  Do I think it
should've been called Echo & the Bunnymen?  No.  Is it better than the
record MacCulloch and Will Sargent recorded as Electrafixion?  Hells yes.
So I'm just saying.  Lineuos are just lineups

Television has felt more that a little bit compromised in the 21st century
reunion years.  The weird, wild way this has happened surprises me a little
bit, but the final break doesn't.  Hell, Peter Laughner almost replaced
Richard, and how long has he been dead?  And don't forget, there are those
who could care less about Television other than as Richard Hell's first
band.

I just want more music from all involved.  So I hope for good health, and a
slightly more active recording and performing schedule, for all involved.

Articulating what is probably the minority opinion, but hopefully tactfully,
I remain,
Rex.