Re: (TV) Television on Summerstage info > new book by beeber

i can't say i like the early hell recordings *better*
than i like the first to tv albums -- but i do love
those early sounds.  i love the out-of-tune playing
and the sense that something is trying to take shape.
and of course i love hell's solo work.

on the subject of hell and verlaine -- has anyone here
read the new book by steven lee beeber, "the
heebe-jeebe's at cbgb's" (possible spelling mistakes
there).  his subject is the jewish influence on the
punk movement, starting with lenny bruce, then
tracking through lou reed, jonathan richman, alan vega
and martin rev, the dictators, the ramones, and the
effects of the holocaust on cultural identity, etc.
there is a chapter on richard hell, which discusses
his relationship with verlaine at some length,
particularly in regard to their different tempraments.