(TV) Mary Weiss last week

Someone had asked me to post how it was, so here's something I sent to the Shangri Las group:

I'm REALLY glad I went. Mary was in excellent voice. A lot of reviews of the
album talked about how her voice hadn't changed except for being lower, but
I don't think that's true. She still has the same krecht (term from klezmer
music, roughly "sob" or "feeling") in her voice that makes everything she
sings sound like Mary Weiss, but there are big differences. She can't wail
like she did when she was 15, but she has more control over her voice and
she's got a nice way with a melody. The song, "Dangerous Game," is a good
example of what I mean, and I thought she was singing better than on the
album today.

The band started the set with an instrumental version of "It's Easier To
Cry," and the set was mainly songs from the new album, with Remember (this
was a high point, the vocal changes I just mentioned add to the song here.
I'd like to hear her do Dressed in Black. I bet that one would also work
well with her voice). Heaven Only Knows, Train from Kansas City, Great Big
Kiss, and Out On The Streets. Train has a more uptempo, new wavish
arrangement, and there's some nice interplay with the backing vocals on Out
On The Streets. No Leader of The Pack, which surprised me but I didn't
really mind.

I'm not sure if she did everything on the new album, but she did all of my
favorites. "Dangerous Game" and "I Just Missed You" were high points and the
faster stuff all worked, too. Richard X Heyman also took a couple of nice
guitar solos.

After the show, Mary signed autographs for the audience. I managed to get
close to the front of the line, so I don't know how long she was there, but
it was a pretty long line. --------------