Re: (TV) Patti Smith doc

Yeah, I saw this at Sundance last week, was meaning to post something about it. It's pretty good, pretty messy, as you'd expect, not enough concert/music for my tastes but some great vintage footage and photos, and you do come away with a real sense of the woman, as a woman and an artist. Wonderful scenes with her parents at the house she grew up in. Worth noting, tho, that Our Tom is barely in the thing: he's mentioned once or twice, seen in a photo, and glimpsed in the flesh only once, tuning his guitar (what else?) on the side of the stage during a warm-up. He's wearing a big hat and you can hardly tell it's him; I guessed by looking at the hands.

The director was there and did a Q&A; I asked him afterwards why TV wasn't in the film more -- they filmed on and off for 12 years -- and he said that Tom's a shy guy and basically fled the other way whenever the cameras were rolling. So he's defined by his absence, at least in this one.

Ty