Re: (TV) report on lloyd show....

My experience was nothing like Jay's

----- Original Message ----
From: Jay >lloyd came up to my table, and summoned me backstage before the show

I met Billy outside, shared a smoke, talked about various shows (Central Park last year especially) and he kindly autographed my copy of the Old Waldorf CD.
I saw him again inside, while the opener was playing, and I said hello to Keith Hartel.
Richard came out from backstage, didn't appear to be in a good mood. I said hello and have a good show as he walked past. very little acknowledgment.
There were 15 people in the Gravity Lounge in Charlottesville, 4-5 associated with the opening band.

It took 5-6 songs before Richard "got into it", but for 45 minutes after that, he played and sang very well. 3 Hendrix songs, and mostly others from Field of Fire and the new one. I like the song 'Monkey' - I haven't heard the new CD yet. I'll probably buy it tonight. They played 'There She Goes again' and 'Wicked Son' - I think.
Billy was great, of course, and I dig Hartel's playing. Very smooth, and he made it gracefully through a mid-song amp malfunction. One comment: he looks like Mick Ronson from 20 feet away.

Interesting: There was one gentleman in the audience who called out for 'Alchemy' a few times between songs. Richard's last words before he left the stage: (partially paraphrased) 'I know some of you want to hear 'Alchemy' and 'Blue and Gray'. These guys want me to play those songs (motions to the band) I just can't do that, not right now.' ....etc. and ended with "Tom has to play Marquee Moon every night...for the rest of his life". He had a dour look on his face. Spoke slowly, as if he was choosing his words carefully. Like I said, he didn't seem to be in a good mood.
I thought his last words were especially interesting as he played 'Friction' and 'Elevation'. I don't know if he plays those every night.

I will be at the Richmond show tonight.
 They're playing the Velvet Lounge (Wash DC) Thursday, but two nights in a row is enough for me.

 - H.