Re: (TV) Berlin

Keith Allison wrote:
> I just listened to Lou Reed's Berlin for the first  time ever (I know,
> I know...) and I never want to hear it again. Does that make me a bad
> person?

Scott Simpson wrote:
Yeah, it makes you kinda awful.

I'm going to take a dissenting view. There's absolutely no need to listen to something that has no pleasure in it for you. I know pleasure isn't the *point* of _Berlin_, but for those who listen to it--or anything--over and over, there has to be *something* drawing you back, even if it's a kind of pleasure in making yourself feel bad. If you don't derive pleasure from it--even of that kind--and you're listening to it *anyway* out of a kind of "eat your (cultural) Brussels sprouts" obligation, the whole exercise is pointless.

If you're feeling guilty about cultural bona fides, then how about put on some "difficult listening" you do derive authentic pleasure from, like Beefheart?

I may be over-caffeinated right now.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/