Re: (TV) In search of the great American band

It really comes down the carnal vs the cerebral, doesn't it?

I mean, too much of either extreme produces unpleasant results: a band
like Television, widely acknowledged as hugely influential and smart
by critics and musicians alike, continues to toil in relative
obscurity, while a sexpot like Brittany Spears is wildly (if
transiently) successful but with no cred at all.

It takes a certain shrewd genius to be straddle the line, to balance
abject carnality with braininess.  It's no mean trick -- few bands can
manage it for long.

Perhaps it is here where Blondie's genius must be recognized.
Television's genius, as well as Patti Smith's, also needs to be
recognized, but theirs exist in another dimension entirely.

-A