(TV) Top CDs of 2008

There is no question that the shift away from album rock continues unabated as the digital age morphs back to the golden age of singles that marked the birth of rock and roll. However, the following 10 releases retained the necessary ingredients to make my top CD list for 2008.

1. Black Mountain - In the Future - The follow-up to the brilliant 2005 self-titled debut by these Vancouver rockers leads the list. Great live, great on disc, great band! 2. The Black Angels - Directions to See a Ghost - Wonderful rollicking rockers from Austin also provided one of the best live shows of the year. 3. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid - Another great album by one of my favorite British bands; they are now 4 for 4 on my top list. 4. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash - In a year marked with several terrific Pavement reissues, its former leader released his best solo disc. 5. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins - The companion piece to last year's superb Stage Names is a bookend that really could be the second part of a double disc set. 6. Plants And Animals - Parc Avenue - Debut full-length by arty Montreal trio blends different genres and soundscapes beautifully. 7. Secret Machines - Secret Machines - His brother's departure did not prevent Brandon Curtis from returning to the monster sound of their 2004 top CD Now Here is Nowhere. 8. Dead Meadow - Old Growth - One of the great power trios of the past decade, this is their 6th album and as good as it gets. 9. Steve Winwood - Nine Lives - Steve Winwood delivers his best set of music in more than 20 years; blue-eyed soul and the Hammond B3 reign anew. 10. The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia - Greg Dulli of Afghan Whigs joins Mark Lanegan of Screaming Trees to produce a wonderfully introspective, gloomy yet graceful, set that soars.

Honorable Mention:
Antietam - Opus Mixtum
Blitzen Trapper - Furr
Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws