RE: Beck / RE: (TV) Richard Lloyd interview re. Hendrix

-----Original Message-----
From:  Jesse Hochstadt

A fact I feel is often overlooked in discussing Hendrix is what a great,
fluid sense of rhythm the man - who, after all, played in R&B bands for
years - had. Too much attention is paid to issues like feedback, distortion,
and lead lines (and these are the things that Hendrix imitators often focus
on too, because frankly, IMO, that rhythm sense is much deeper musically and
harder to copy).

Agreed - back when I first started playing guitar, a friend gave me a couple
of CDs and urged me to ignore the lead playing and listen to the way Hendrix
played rhythm.  While I'm not one one-thousandth of the innovator Hendrix
was (some of the parts he'd use behind a verse would constitute a whole song
for mere mortals) trying to approach his sense of time and swing are things
any player - as in instrument player - can benefit from.