To: "TV list" <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 7:05 PM
Subject: (TV) Unbelievable!

So the other day I'm in Repo Records on South Street here in Philly (http://www.reporecords.com/) and I hear coming out of the speakers what sounds like a bizarre foreign-language cover of "Breakin' in My Heart." So I ask the clerk whether that's indeed what it is. She says, no, I don't think so - this is by Tom Zacharias, and it's a reissue of "Belinda," an obscure Swedish record of mostly pornographic songs from sometime in the fairly early 1970s. She shows me the CD cover, and sure enough that's what it appears to be. She tells me the song is track 15, "Leve Incesten." I don't speak Swedish, but I think I have some idea what the general subject of the song is.

Today I Googled the record. It's on the Swedish label Sublminal Sounds! (http://tinyurl.com/ct62v2), available in the US from Anthology Recordings (http://tinyurl.com/anxdt7). You can listen to the track - and the rest of the record - at http://tinyurl.com/detcsz. It doesn't start out sounding much like "Breakin' in My Heart," but sometime around 1:30 the song changes and the resemblance becomes pretty striking, to my ears. Not just the basic riff - which is, after all, pretty simple - but the tempo and something about the approach to the guitar soloing, though the latter is not as delicate as Tom's and far from note-for-note identical. Listen and let me know what you think!

So now I find myself wondering if Tom more or less stole "Breakin' in My Heart" from this obscene obscurity. On the one hand, it that's the case, I'm disappointed - I'd like to give him full credit for a song I've loved since its release. On the other hand, somehow it seems like Tom to know about an album for which ads were placed, according the Subliminal Sounds! site, "in both Screw magazine and Mayfair." I can't remember specific quotes, but I seem to recall from interviews that Tom gets a kick out of rather "outside" recordings. I was talking the other week about Tom with Jay Schwartz, who runs the Secret Cinema film series (http://www.thesecretcinema.com/) here - this was after a Secret Cinema show of Scopitone films (http://www.thesecretcinema.com/recent.htm) - and he mentioned having seen Tom at WFMU's Record Fairs.

- Jesse