(TV) Correcting myself?

I haven't received a digest since I sent my post the other day about the odd resemblance between "Breakin' in My Heart" and Tom Zacharias's "Leve Incesten," and I won't be at all surprised if someone else has pointed out what I'm about to write. But I thought I'd do it myself just in case.

Last night I got round to looking at Tom's liner notes to the Collector's Choice CD of "Tom Verlaine," where he describes "Breakin' in My Heart" as a song "occasionally played with my former band." I'd forgotten that of course the fact that I first heard the song in 1979 doesn't mean that's when it was written. Checking my Santadog Funpack and some on-line info at Phil's site, I see it was performed as early as (at least) 1974. I haven't been able to find out when Tom Zacharias's records were released, but it certainly now seems more possible that Zacharias was copying Verlaine/Television rather than vice versa. Either way, I still think there's a bit of a mystery to be solved here.

- Jesse