(TV) Richard Lloyd is in great form

Saw Richard Lloyd and his Sufi Monkey Trio (including Billy Ficca) this past
Saturday evening and he rocked the place! The show itself was a little
chaotic - the venue, Abbey Pub, said Richard would take the stage at 7pm!
Admittedly I thought that was a little early but believed it. Well actually
a local Chicago band, The Nicholas Tremulis Orchestra opened and played a
hot set of swamp rock for approximately 50 minutes. Not a bad thing - they
did a great job. Without much ado afterward, Richard and the monkeys took
the stage - I can't even say what the first song was but it was all Richard
- screaming, wailing banshee guitars! Quickly followed by "Friction"  -
numerous Hendrix tunes including "Are You Experienced", a truly burning
version of "I don't live today" and others. More Television  including
"Elevation" and simply the best "See no Evil" e.v.e.r! Richard seems to
improvise the lyrics a bit, which is fine. His last song of the evening was
"Alchemy". Sadly there were only about 60 people in the audience - I can't
imagine why as it was pretty well advertised. Billy Ficca was in fine form
too playing some amazing rolls and contributing his usual jazzy playing. The
vibe between the two men seems to be one of genuine respect and affection.
Afterwards I was lucky enough to meet the man briefly. Genuinely friendly
and real.  And manic! If he's gonna be anywhere near you - go see him!