From: Graham Urquhart <gurquhart@madasafish.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Fri, Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm
Subject: (TV) Sky Saxon RIP

This will no doubt get lost in the Jackson farrago:?
?

http://skysaxon.com/?
?

Obit from Nels Cline below:?
?

NELS CLINE ON SKY SAXON: MY FIRST ROCK IDOL?

June 25th, 2009?
?

Guitarist Nels Cline (spotted most recently with Wilco) grew up in the
shadow of the Seeds and Sky Saxon and later went on to perform and
record with Sky himself. He takes some time today to send L.A. RECORD
these thoughts:?
?

I am truly saddened to learn of the death of Sky Saxon. As a boy growing
up in Los Angeles, Sky Saxon was my first rock idol of sorts. The Seeds
music was important to me, sure, but Skys amazing charismaas he
appeared rather ubiquitously on TV shows like Boss City and The
Groovy Show around 1966was galvanizing. I would stare in disbelief as
heclad in shiny satin Nehru shirts bedazzled with some gaudy
broochwould gyrate around lasciviously, holding the microphone in every
cool way imaginable. He seemed from another planet. I thought he was
amazing.?
?

Years later, in the late 70s, Sky became known as Sunlight, and
manifested a few eccentric and quite acid-soaked (or so they sounded)
recordings that led credence to the rampant stories of his decaying mind
and artistry. He came into the record store I worked at for years
andwith his face covered in a long mane of hair, massive beard, and
shadeswent silently through the?

stacks with wraith-like fingers. I was dismayed and a bit freaked out by
this creaturethe former beautiful god of rock n roll otherness.?
?

But only a few years ago as my friend and colleague Carla Bozulich and I
were going into our local Trader Joes, we ran into a bass player friend
of mine named Rick, who had in tow a gray-haired, aging hippie type of
man with an unavoidably compelling face and style. Carla, not normally
interested in old hippies, immediately whispered to me, Whos THAT?!
Of course, you know it was Sky Saxon. And Rick was playing in the new
version of the Seeds, recording just down the street from Carlas house!
Long story short, I went and hung out a bit, ended up recording a song
about a corrupt judge on the then-upcoming Seeds record. (Sorry that the
titles escape me today.) Sky was really quite deferential to me. Plus he
seemed to be in quite good shape. He gave me a record, recently issued,
of some of his pre-Seeds 1950s doo-wop-ish rock songs. How old IS this
guy? I wondered.?
?

We ended up doing a duo gig of almost totally improvised music one night
at Zen Sushi. I was ecstatic. I suggested we call ourselves the Flower
Lady & Her Assistant, but Sky immediately countered with the Flower God
Men and Their Assistants. I had gear problems on the gig, and Sky had a
bit too much sake before we played, but it was amaz?

ing to me. There were barely 30 people there anyway! I started plotting
ways to do some more improvising with him. He was going off in a very
Beat-style manner. I thought of collaborations with my trio, The
Singers, but then Sky went off to more European touring, headed back to
Shasta. Rick moved to New York?
?

I wont ever be able to do those things with Sky. I feel lucky to have
ever even seen him on TV, yet alone to have played some wild,
extemporaneous psychedelia with him. They say Mick Jagger copped tons of
his moves and style, and I believe it. But there was so much more to
this man that remains to be revealed.?
?

- Nels Cline?

Glendale, CA?