(TV) Way OT: Stereo question

I have a questioon for all the audiophiles on the list:

We are having a garage sale and my wife and I both have two very old stereo systems.  One from the late 70's (sony amp with allegro speakers, I'm keeping the turntable) and a technics from the late  80's (turntable, amp, dual casette, speakers and a multidisc cd player).  We are keeping my turntable.

Both take up a lot of space and I would like to buy something with a cd player, aux plug in for an mp3 player and a hook up for the turntable that is smaller in size (speakers especially) but can be cranked up and sound good when needed.  Does the new equipment sound better / worse (looking at dropping no more than $1000.00

Thanks in advance

greg