Re: (TV) Extract from Just Kids - Tom/Patti

Neat. Thanks for sending this along, Graham.

________________________________
From: Graham Urquhart <gurquhart@madasafish.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 5:46:27 AM
Subject: (TV) Extract from Just Kids - Tom/Patti

Extract from Just Kids:

...............The band had a ragged edge, the music erratic, angular, and emotional. I liked everything about them, their spasmodic movements, the drummer's jazz flourishes, their disjointed, orgasmic musical structures. I felt a kinship with the alien guitarist on the right. He was tall, with straw-colored hair, and his long graceful fingers wrapped around the neck of his guitar as if to strangle it.

Tom Verlaine had definitely read A Season in Hell.

In between sets Tom and I did not talk of poetry but of the woods of New Jersey, the deserted beaches of Delaware, and flying saucers hovering in the western skies. It turned out that we were raised 20 minutes from one another, listened to the same records, watched the same cartoons, and both loved the Arabian Nights. The break over, Television returned to the stage. Richard Lloyd picked up his guitar and fingered the opening phrase of "Marquee Moon."

It was a world away from the Ziegfeld. The absence of glamour made it seem all the more familiar, a place that we could call our own. As the band played on, you could hear the whack of the pool cue hitting the balls, the saluki barking, bottles clinking, the sounds of a scene emerging. Though no one knew it, the stars were aligning, the angels were calling.

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/arts/97966-excerpt-patti-smiths-just-kids/