Re: (TV) Interview w/ Hell about new DESTINY STREET

I agree, great interview.

What a revelation:  because the backing bass, drums and guitar of the remix
came from a decades-old two track cassette that had stretched, rather than
the original tracks, Hell says he had to sing (and Marc Ribot had to tune
his guitar) "off-center"  (i.e. in a slightly different key than the
original).   Have to go back and give both a listen.

Have to say, though, that I find the necessity to sing or play guitar
off-key really odd, especially because Hell says the new vocals and guitar
were recorded digitally:  any modern digital audio workstation (Protools,
Reaper -- hell, even the free Audacity) can do pitch / speed correction.
It's, like, trivial.

Seems obvious to me that after pulling the old cassette tape tracks into the
DAW, you'd simply digitally adjust the pitch and speed as desired, and THEN
lay down the new guitars and vocals, *in the proper key*.  Problem solved:
no retuning or having to sing "off-center"

What am I missing?

-A