RE: (TV) Verlaine/Ficca/Derivaz / Thanks, & You're Take Is Very Likely, Right

Jesse,

 >Perhaps I'm just cranky. One shouldn't look a gift horse in
> the mouth, and to be fair, I was underslept and distracted (should have taken a
> bathroom break midway through the set). And as always, I was having trouble
> quieting my critical mind. Maybe if I'd kept some notes, I could better recall specific
> good parts of the show.

On the contrary, thanks for your your great, and as usual, well thought-out review.

I've seen Verlaine over the years many times in different incarnations (1980s' with a band ,
acoustic solo tour, Music For Film show, a '9-11' Benefit, with Television, his 2006 band
Tour. etc.).  At more than a few of the shows, I've come away disappointed albeit probably
because I had such high expectations and/or his playing at a previous performance had set the
bar so high.

I've dragged friends to many of his/Television's shows, and when sometimes I ended up being let
down it would be very disconcerting to hear first-time viewers with me say how great they
thought the show was.  I'd groan and say:  "That!?!  That was nothing ... That was ok, but
mediocre compared to when I saw him/them at blank in blank.".  And then they'd look at me like
I was nuts or too demanding.

So, I  doubt you re are just being cranky.

Leo

PS:  However, seeing Verlaine/Television on an off-night is kinda like sex:  even when it's
mediocre, it's still pretty damn good.  : >)

"He did what we all do.
He went about his dull routine
as if all the days in the world
were still to come".